Print management is a term that is used to describe the process of managing and organizing printing resources. This can include printers, copiers, scanners, and other related devices. It can also include the management of documents and print jobs.
Print management is an important task for businesses of all sizes, as it can help to optimize printing resources and save money. In addition, print management can help to improve security by controlling who has access to what documents and when they are printed.
That’s not all though. Several different tools and software programs can be used for print management, and each business will have its own specific needs. Let’s explore print management in more detail.
What are managed print services?
Managed print services (MPS) is a comprehensive term for the management of all aspects of the printing and document output infrastructure of an organization. It can include the acquisition, deployment, use, and disposal of printers, multifunction devices (MFDs), copiers, scanning devices, and fax machines; as well as the software, supplies, and related services necessary to support these devices.
How does print management work
Print management is a process that allows an administrator to control and manage the printing process on a network. It can help to reduce the cost of printing, as well as optimize the use of printers and print jobs. Printer management can also help to improve security, by restricting access to certain printers, and by tracking who is printing what documents.
Whether you’re a small business, a school or university, or an organization with hundreds of employees and offices around the world, outsourcing your print management and other back end work (there are a lot of companies that might be able to assist you – you can take a look at the site here to find an agency that could prove helpful) can save time and money. It also provides you with more flexibility to control costs in times of economic uncertainty.
For instance, when budgets are tight, it’s tempting to cut back on printer toner cartridges and paper purchases. But outsourcing your print management will help make sure that printers don’t run out of ink mid-project – and it will keep them well-stocked.
What is print management software?
Print management software helps businesses to keep track of their printing activity. It can also help to optimize printing resources and reduce the cost of printing. Print management companies use software to help manage and monitor printers, copiers, and multifunction devices (MFDs).
Print management software allows businesses to control who can print what, when they can print it, and how much ink or toner is used. Additionally, print management software can help businesses to reduce paper usage by optimizing the layout of documents before they are printed.
What are the benefits of print management?
- Reduced Costs: One of the biggest benefits of print management is that it can lead to reduced print costs. This is because businesses can more easily keep track of their printing expenses and cut down on wasteful printing practices.
- Improved Efficiency: Print management can also help to improve efficiency within an organization. An MPS system allows employees to easily access and print documents, which can save time and improve productivity.
- Enhanced Security: By implementing a print management solution, businesses can better protect their confidential data from being stolen or compromised. Print jobs are often sent to specific print devices and tracked, so unauthorized individuals cannot access them without permission.
- More Control Over Printing: With a print management system in place, businesses have full control over who has access to printers and what types of documents and files they can print. Every MPS system comes with its own set of security credentials and access controls.
What issues can arise from not having a print management solution in place?
- Sluggish Print Systems: Without a print management system, businesses run the risk of having a slow print system since every document sent to the printer requires its own connection. Over time, this can take up a significant amount of resources and lead to reduced printing speeds
- Printing Network Inefficiency: A print management solution tracks documents going through the printer in real-time so that duplicate prints or lost documents do not go unnoticed. By not having a document management solution in place, businesses risk losing money and hurting their brand image.
- Compatibility: Without a print management system in place, you may not be able to use your printer to its fullest potential if it can’t connect to your business’s network properly. This is especially true with multi-function printers (MFPs) which can include wireless printing capabilities that require an embedded or external print server to provide compatibility with your network
- Print Quality Issues: Not having a print management system in place may lead to users sending documents directly to the printer or trying to print them from programs on their computers, which causes the printers’ memory limits to be reached more frequently. This can lead to print quality issues, which may require the reprinting of all documents sent during that timeframe.
MPS systems can help to optimize your printing environment
Print management is evolving and the future looks bright for businesses that can adapt. By implementing new technologies, such as cloud-based printing, your business can save time and money while improving efficiency. If you’re looking for a way to improve your print operations, managed printing solutions can benefit your business in many ways.